Thirty-sixth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya
The thirty-sixth supplication of al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya (Arabic: الدعاء السادس والثلاثون من الصحيفة السجادية) is a supplication transmitted from Imam al-Sajjad (a), which he recited during lightning. In this supplication, lightning is described as a sign of God, asking God for a useful rain. Moreover, the supplication emphasizes prayers and pleading in order to dispel the evils, holding that man is vulnerable toward the divine domination.
The thirty-sixth supplication is a supplication recited by Imam al-Sajjad (a) when observing the clouds and lightning. According to Sayyid Muhammad Husayn Fadl Allah in his Afaq al-ruh (Horizons of the spirit), the supplication is concerned with how to see natural phenomena. In his view, the supplication is an indication of the spiritual character of Zayn al-'Abidin in that he saw everything in the world as a sign of God, as an occasion for being grateful to God, and as an opportunity for prayer so that divine blessings are increased and evils are dispelled. According to Mamduhi Kirmanshahi in his commentary on the supplication, the true believer sees the order of existence as being under the domination of divine will and power at every moment. He sees every event as an occasion for thinking about God. Here are the doctrines of the supplication:
- Lightning, clouds, and rains are signs of God’s power
- God’s domination of the natural and lawful order of creation
- The tight relation between human life and the natural order of the world
- Asking for useful rains without any loss and damages
- Supplication and prayers to God in order to be rescued from evils
- Avoidance of relations with disbelievers
- Ill temper and misconduct as consequences of poverty and drought
- Human wealth and health in light of God
- Human vulnerability toward divine domination
- The range of divine absolute power
- Gratefulness toward God’s infinite blessings
- God’s acceptance of even minor praises
- The return of everyone to God.
In the commentaries of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya, such as Riyad al-salikin by Sayyid Ali Khan al-Madani,, Fi zilal al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya by Muhammad Jawad Mughniya, Riyad al-'arifin by Muhammad b. Muhammad al-Darabi, Afaq al-ruh by Muhammad Husayn Fadl Allah, the thirty-sixth supplication is explicated. The words used in the supplication is also elucidated in lexical commentaries such as Fayd Kashani's Ta'liqat 'ala l-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya and 'Izz al-Din al-Jaza'iri's Sharh al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya
The thirty-sixth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya is expounded in such commentaries as Shuhud wa shinakht by Muhammad Hasan Mamduhi Kirmanshahi, Sharh wa tarjumi-yi Sahifi-yi Sajjadiyya by Sayyid Ahmad Fihri, in Persian.
|For the full text, see text:Thirty-sixth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya.|
- Faḍl Allāh, Āfāq al-rūḥ, vol. 2, p. 222-223.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 3, p. 191.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 3, p. 191-206; Commentary of 36th supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya, Irfan website (Persian)
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn, vol. 5, p. 199-220.
- Mughnīya, Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa, p. 431-4.
- Dārābī, Rīyāḍ al-ʿārifīn, p. 457-462.
- Faḍl Allāh, Āfāq al-rūḥ, vol. 2, p. 223-232.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Taʿlīqāt ʿalā l-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, p. 73.
- Jazā'irī, Sharh al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, p. 186-8.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 3, p. 189-206.
- Fihrī, Sharḥ wa tarjuma-yi Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, vol. 3, p. 95-8.
- Dārābī, Muḥammad b. Muḥammad. Rīyāḍ al-ʿārifīn fī sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Edited by Ḥusayn Dargāhī. Tehran: Nashr-i Uswa, 1379 Sh.
- Faḍl Allāh, Sayyid Muḥammad Ḥusayn. Āfāq al-rūḥ. Beirut: Dār al-Mālik, 1420 AH.
- Fihrī, Sayyid Aḥmad. Sharḥ wa tarjuma-yi Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Nashr-i Uswa, 1388 Sh.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Muḥammad b. al-Murtaḍā al-. Taʿlīqāt ʿalā l-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Muʾassisat al-Buḥūth wa l-Taḥqīqāt al-Thiqāfīyya, 1407 AH.
- Jazāʾirī, ʿIzz al-Dīn. Sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Beirut: Dār al-Taʿāruf li-l-Maṭbūʿāt, 1402 AH.
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Sayyid ʿAlīkhān. Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn fī sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa Sayyid al-Sājjidīn. Qom: Muʾassisat al-Nashr al-Islāmī, 1435 AH.
- Mughnīya, Muḥammad Jawād al-. Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Qom: Dār al-Kitāb al-Islāmī, 1428 AH.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht; tarjuma wa sharḥ Ṣaḥīfa-yi Sajjādīyya. Qom: Būstān-i Kitāb, 1388 SH.