Third Supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya
The Third Supplication of al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya (Arabic: الدعاء الثالث من الصحيفة السجادية) is a supplication transmitted from Imam al-Sajjad (a), in which greetings are sent to divine angels and their features and types are characterized. In this supplication, Imam al-Sajjad (a) points to tirelessness of angels in glorifying God, their humility and modesty toward God, and their diligence in observing divine commands. Moreover, he characterizes them as carriers of the revelation and greeters of inhabitants of the Heaven. This supplication is expounded thoroughly in such commentaries as Riyad al-salikin fi sharh-i sahifat Sayyid al-Sajidin (in Arabic) by al-Sayyid 'Ali Khan al-Madani and Diyar-i ashiqan (in Farsi) by Husayn Ansarian.
The main theme of the third supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya characterizes the features of divine angels, their place before God, types of angels, and greeting them. Here are the doctrines implicit in the supplication:
- Tirelessness of the bears of the Throne in glorifying God, proclaiming His sanctity, and worshiping Him
- Their diligence in complying with God's commands
- Seraphiel's awakening the dead by blowing in his Trumpet
- The sublime place of Michael in the divine presence
- Gabriel as trusted in revelations and a close angel to God
- The Trustworthy Spirit being the commander of angels who guard the sanctuary of God's glory
- Absence of lust and ignorance in angels
- Their humility and modesty toward God's greatness and their acknowledge of their failure in the servitude of God
- Angels as carriers of revelations to prophets
- Different groups of angels: those exclusive to God, those guarding the boundaries of heavens, treasurers of rains, movers of clouds, angels of mountains, keepers and writers of people’s deeds, angels of death, nakir and munkir, interrogators of the dead in their graves, circumambulators of the Greatly Frequented House (al-bayt al-ma'mur), owners and guards of the Hell, pleasures and servants of the Heaven, angels accompanying man (drivers and witnesses), and so on.
- Angels' greetings to inhabitants of the heaven
- Peace upon the dignity and purity of the angels.
In the commentaries of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya, such as Fi zilal al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya by Muhammad Jawad Mughniya, Riyad al-'arifin by Muhammad b. Muhammad al-Darabi, Afaq al-ruh by Muhammad Husayn Fadl Allah, and Riyad al-salikin by Sayyid Ali Khan al-Madani, the third supplication is explicated. The words used in the supplication is also elucidated in lexical commentaries such as Fayd Kashani's Ta'liqat 'ala l-Sahifa l-Sajjadiyya.
The third supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya is expounded in such commentaries as Diyar-i ashiqan by Husayn Ansarian, Shuhud wa shinakht by Muhammad Hasan Mamduhi Kirmanshahi, Asrar-i khamushan by Muhammad Taqi Khalaji, and Sharh wa tarjumi-yi Sahife-ye Sajjadiyya by Sayyid Ahmad Fihri in Persian..
|For the full text, see text:Third Supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya.|
- Anṣārīyān, Diyār-i āshiqān, vol. 3, p. 19-139; Khalajī, Asrār-i khāmūshān, p. 131-235.
- Mughnīya, Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa, p. 83-93.
- Dārābī, Rīyāḍ al-ʿārifīn, p. 65-82.
- Faḍl Allāh, Āfāq al-rūḥ, vol. 1, p. 69-96.
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn, vol. 2, p. 5-80.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Taʿlīqāt ʿalā l-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, p. 22-26.
- Anṣārīyān, Diyār-i āshiqān, vol. 3, p. 19-149.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 1, p. 289-317.
- Khalajī, Asrār-i khāmūshān, p. 131-234.
- Fihrī, Sharḥ wa tarjuma-yi Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, p. 205-250.
- Anṣārīyān, Ḥusayn. Diyār-i āshiqān; jāmiʿ-i Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Payām-i Āzādī, 1373 Sh.
- Dārābī, Muḥammad b. Muḥammad. Riyāḍ al-ʿārifīn fī sharḥ Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Edited by Ḥusayn Dargāhī. Tehran: Nashr-i Uswa, 1379 Sh.
- Faḍl Allāh, Sayyid Muḥammad Ḥusayn. Āfāq al-ruḥ. Beirut: Dār al-Milāk, 1420 AH.
- Fihrī, Sayyid Aḥmad. Sharḥ wa tarjuma-yi Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Nashr-i Uswa, 1388 Sh.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Muḥammad b. al-Murtaḍā al-. Taʿlīqāt ʿalā al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Muʾassisat al-Buḥūth wa al-Taḥqīqāt al-Thiqāfiyya, 1407 AH.
- Khalajī, Muḥammad Taqī. Asrār-i khāmūshān. Qom: Partuw-i Khurshīd, 1383 Sh.
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Sayyid ʿAlīkhān. Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn fī sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa Sayyid al-Sājjidīn. Qom: Muʾassisat al-Nashr al-Islāmī, 1435 AH.
- Mughnīya, Muḥammad Jawād al-. Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Qom: Dār al-Kitāb al-Islāmī, 1428 AH.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Ḥasan. Shuhūd wa shinākht; tarjuma wa sharḥ-i Ṣaḥīfa-yi Sajjādīyya. Introduced by Āyatullāh Jawādī Āmulī. Qom: Būstān-i Kitāb, 1388 Sh.