Twenty-first supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya
The twenty-first supplication of al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya (Arabic: الدعاء الواحد والعشرون من الصحيفة السجادية) is a supplication recited by Imam al-Sajjad (a) during sadness and sorrow. In this supplication, Imam al-Sajjad (a) points to lessons from the divine unity of actions, characterizing God as the only effective agent in existence. According to Imam al-Sajjad (a), the only safe zone for man is the divine mercy. Moreover, God is the only way through which one's wishes might be fulfilled. The Fourth Imam asks people not to be disappointed of God when the answer to their prayers is delayed. He refers to obedience as the way to achieve divine proximity.
This supplication is expounded thoroughly in such commentaries as Riyad al-salikin (in Arabic) by al-Sayyid 'Ali Khan al-Madani and Diyar-i ashiqan by Husayn Ansarian and Shuhud wa shinakht by Hasan Mamduhi Kirmanshahid (in Farsi).
The twenty-first supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya is recited during sadness from troubles, events, sins, mistakes, and negligence. Here are the doctrines of the supplication:
- God fulfilling the needs of the powerless
- Lessons from the divine unity of actions
- Lack of security without God (divine mercy as the only safe zone of man)
- Without God, there is no helper
- The inevitability of the return to God after escaping from Him
- God as the only effective agent in the being
- God's dominion over the order of being
- All means and ways are in the hands of God
- God as the way of achieving one's wishes
- The divine predestination about His servants is justice
- Obedience as the way of attaining divine proximity
- Acknowledgement of human powerlessness
- Worshiping God as the way of achieving what is in the hand of God
- Refraining from disappointment when God's answer to one's supplications is delayed
- Abstaining from remembering God during His forgiveness
- Asking for the opportunity for engaging in obedience and servitude of God
- The secret behind the exclusiveness of praise to God
- Asking for the heart to be cleaned up to find room for friendship with God
- Asking for one's piety in this world to be a provision for the afterlife
- Avoiding sins through fear from the Lord
- Asking for the tranquility of the heart
- Asking for companionship with Muhammad (s) and his household.
In the commentaries of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya, such as Riyad al-salikin by Sayyid Ali Khan al-Madani,, Fi zilal al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya by Muhammad Jawad Mughniya, Riyad al-'arifin by Muhammad b. Muhammad al-Darabi, Afaq al-ruh by Muhammad Husayn Fadl Allah, the twenty-first supplication is explicated. The words used in the supplication is also elucidated in lexical commentaries such as Fayd Kashani's Ta'liqat 'ala l-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya and 'Izz al-Din al-Jaza'iri's Sharh al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya
The twenty-first supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya is expounded in such commentaries as Diyar-i ashiqan by Husayn Ansarian, Shuhud wa shinakht by Muhammad Hasan Mamduhi Kirmanshahi, Sharh wa tarjumi-yi Sahifi-yi Sajjadiyya by Sayyid Ahmad Fihri, and some other books in Persian.
|For the full text, see text:Twenty-first supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya.|
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 2, p. 289.
- Anṣārīyān, Diyār-i āshiqān, vol. 6, p. 359-383; Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 2, p. 289-323.
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn, vol. 3, p. 441-490.
- Mughnīya, Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa, p. 283-293.
- Dārābī, Rīyāḍ al-ʿārifīn, p. 265-281.
- Faḍl Allāh, Āfāq al-rūḥ, vol. 1, p. 545-566.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Taʿlīqāt ʿalā l-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, p. 51-52.
- Jazā'irī, Sharh al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, p. 122-126.
- Anṣārīyān, Diyār-i āshiqān, vol. 6, p. 359-383.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 2, p. 289-323.
- Fihrī, Sharḥ wa tarjuma-yi Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, vol. 2, p. 335-353.
- Anṣārīyān, Ḥusayn. Dīyār-i Āshiqān: tafsīr-i jāmiʿ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Payām-i Āzādī, 1372 Sh.
- Dārābī, Muḥammad b. Muḥammad. Rīyāḍ al-ʿārifīn fī sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Edited by Ḥusayn Dargāhī. Tehran: Nashr-i Uswa, 1379 Sh.
- Faḍl Allāh, Sayyid Muḥammad Ḥusayn. Āfāq al-rūḥ. Beirut: Dār al-Mālik, 1420 AH.
- Fihrī, Sayyid Aḥmad. Sharḥ wa tarjuma-yi Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Nashr-i Uswa, 1388 Sh.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Muḥammad b. al-Murtaḍā al-. Taʿlīqāt ʿalā l-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Muʾassisat al-Buḥūth wa l-Taḥqīqāt al-Thiqāfīyya, 1407 AH.
- Jazāʾirī, ʿIzz al-Dīn. Sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Beirut: Dār al-Taʿāruf li-l-Maṭbūʿāt, 1402 AH.
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Sayyid ʿAlīkhān. Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn fī sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa Sayyid al-Sājjidīn. Qom: Muʾassisat al-Nashr al-Islāmī, 1435 AH.
- Mughnīya, Muḥammad Jawād al-. Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Qom: Dār al-Kitāb al-Islāmī, 1428 AH.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht; tarjuma wa sharḥ Ṣaḥīfa-yi Sajjādīyya. Qom: Būstān-i Kitāb, 1388 SH.