Twenty-third supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya
The twenty-third supplication of al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya (Arabic: الدعاء الثالث والعشرون من الصحيفة السجادية) is a supplication transmitted from Imam al-Sajjad (a), in which he asks God for wellbeing and health in religion, reason, heart, and body. In this supplication, the Imam (a) highlights the consonance of the heart and the language in gratitude to God and reception of guidance, asking God to bestow upon him the position of fear. The supplication involves taking refuge to God from the evils of Satan, Jinn, and people’s ploys.
This supplication is expounded thoroughly in such commentaries as Riyad al-salikin (in Arabic) by al-Sayyid 'Ali Khan al-Madani and Diyar-i ashiqan by Husayn Ansarian and Shuhud wa shinakht by Hasan Mamduhi Kirmanshahid (in Farsi).
In the twenty-third supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya, Imam al-Sajjad (a) asks God for wellbeing and health in religion, reason, heart, and body. According to Hasan Mamduhi Kirmanshahi, in this supplication the Imam asks God for the removal of hindrances to divine proximity. Here are the doctrines of the supplication:
- Asking for wellbeing in all material and spiritual respects
- Asking for wellbeing in both religious and mundane affairs
- Asking God for fear
- Asking for security, decisiveness in affairs, strength for discharging one's duties, and avoidance of divine disobedience
- Asking for hajj and 'umra, as well as the pilgrimage to the Prophet's mausoleum
- The consonance of the inner and the outer in worshiping God: praise to God with one's language and receiving religious guidance with one's heart
- Taking refuge to God from the evils of the outcast devil and the Jinn
- Praying for removing the evils of enemies and foes
- Praying for protection against other people's ploys and their malevolence.
In the commentaries of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya, such as Riyad al-salikin by Sayyid Ali Khan al-Madani, Fi zilal al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya by Muhammad Jawad Mughniya, Riyad al-'arifin by Muhammad b. Muhammad al-Darabi, Afaq al-ruh by Muhammad Husayn Fadl Allah, the twenty-third supplication is explicated. The words used in the supplication is also elucidated in lexical commentaries such as Fayd Kashani's Ta'liqat 'ala l-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya and 'Izz al-Din al-Jaza'iri's Sharh al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya
The twenty-third supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya is expounded in such commentaries as Diyar-i ashiqan by Husayn Ansarian, Shuhud wa shinakht by Muhammad Hasan Mamduhi Kirmanshahi, Sharh wa tarjumi-yi Sahifi-yi Sajjadiyya by Sayyid Ahmad Fihri, and some other books in Persian.
|For the full text, see text:Twenty-third supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya.|
- Mughnīya, Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa, p. 232.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 2, p. 372.
- Anṣārīyān, Diyār-i āshiqān, vol. 6, p. 455-472; Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 2, p. 372-368.
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn, vol. 4, p. 35-6.
- Mughnīya, Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa, p. 309-315.
- Dārābī, Rīyāḍ al-ʿārifīn, p. 301-310.
- Faḍl Allāh, Āfāq al-rūḥ, vol. 1, p. 599-615.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Taʿlīqāt ʿalā l-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, p. 53-6.
- Jazā'irī, Sharh al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, p. 132-135.
- Anṣārīyān, Diyār-i āshiqān, vol. 6, p. 455-472.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 2, p. 372-6.
- Fihrī, Sharḥ wa tarjuma-yi Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, vol. 2, p. 383-390.
- Anṣārīyān, Ḥusayn. Dīyār-i Āshiqān: tafsīr-i jāmiʿ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Payām-i Āzādī, 1372 Sh.
- Dārābī, Muḥammad b. Muḥammad. Rīyāḍ al-ʿārifīn fī sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Edited by Ḥusayn Dargāhī. Tehran: Nashr-i Uswa, 1379 Sh.
- Faḍl Allāh, Sayyid Muḥammad Ḥusayn. Āfāq al-rūḥ. Beirut: Dār al-Mālik, 1420 AH.
- Fihrī, Sayyid Aḥmad. Sharḥ wa tarjuma-yi Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Nashr-i Uswa, 1388 Sh.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Muḥammad b. al-Murtaḍā al-. Taʿlīqāt ʿalā l-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Muʾassisat al-Buḥūth wa l-Taḥqīqāt al-Thiqāfīyya, 1407 AH.
- Jazāʾirī, ʿIzz al-Dīn. Sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Beirut: Dār al-Taʿāruf li-l-Maṭbūʿāt, 1402 AH.
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Sayyid ʿAlīkhān. Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn fī sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa Sayyid al-Sājjidīn. Qom: Muʾassisat al-Nashr al-Islāmī, 1435 AH.
- Mughnīya, Muḥammad Jawād al-. Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Qom: Dār al-Kitāb al-Islāmī, 1428 AH.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht; tarjuma wa sharḥ Ṣaḥīfa-yi Sajjādīyya. Qom: Būstān-i Kitāb, 1388 SH.