Twenty-seventh supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya
The twenty-seventh supplication of al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya (Arabic: الدعاء السابع والعشرون من الصحيفة السجادية) is a supplication transmitted from Imam al-Sajjad (a), concerning Muslim border keepers. In this supplication, Zayn al-‘Abidin (a) prays for the stability of the borders of Muslims, asking God to provide border keepers with awareness, patience, sincerity, faith, piety, and abundance in number. Moreover, he asks all people to participate in defense of Islam by helping the warriors and border keepers, and by organizing their families. Imam al-Sajjad (a) highlights the role of hidden aids in the victory of Muslims over polytheists, believing that annihilation of disbelievers prepares the ground for a monotheistic society.
In his Siyasat al-harb fi du‘a' ahl al-thughur (Politics of war in the supplication of people of frontiers), Ja'far Murtada al-Amili spells out the tactics of defending the borders of Islam by recourse to the twenty-seventh supplication. This supplication is expounded thoroughly in such commentaries as Riyad al-salikin (in Arabic) by al-Sayyid 'Ali Khan al-Madani and Diyar-i ashiqan by Husayn Ansarian and Shuhud wa shinakht by Hasan Mamduhi Kirmanshahi (in Farsi).
The main theme of the twenty-seventh supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya is the prayer for border keepers of the Islamic territory at all times, asking God to bestow upon them awareness, patience, resistance, sincerity, adequate budget, companionship, and abundance in number. According to Hasan Mamduhi Kirmanshahi, the supplication is all-encompassing and comprehensive, involving subtle monotheistic, moral, and mystical points concerning the field of war. It teaches the rulings and manners of war with the language of supplication. Here are the doctrines in the supplication:
- Praying for the stability of Muslim borders
- Significance of border keeping and defense of the Islamic territory (the heavy duty of border keeping)
- Praying for the increase of border keepers' awareness and knowledge
- Reminding the border keepers of the afterlife lest they retreat in the face of enemies
- Praying for the faith and piety of border keepers
- Afterlife blessings being beyond imagination
- Praying for the defeat of enemies in Islamic borders
- The role of hidden aids in the victory over the enemies
- Annihilation of disbelievers as preparing the ground for a monotheistic society
- Wishing Muslims to make firmer plans
- Praying for the reinforcement of the Islamic army with angels
- Reference to God's support of Muslims in the Battle of Badr with an army of angels
- Wishing that polytheists engage in conflicts with each other
- Praying for the negligence of enemies
- Good prayers for Muslim warriors
- Conditions of Muslim warriors (avoidance of fame and sham)
- Praying for the opportunity for martyrdom after victory
- Asking for divine rewards for those who organize the affairs of surviving border keepers
- The value of concern for Islam and the intent of jihad with the enemies
- Sending regards to Muhammad and his household
- Benefits and values of aids from people behind the front to warriors: contribution of all people in defense of Islam, encouragement of warriors, good spirits of warriors and their hopefulness of the future, people's spiritual preparedness for defense, unity and solidarity in the Islamic society.
Books have been written in exposition of the twenty-seventh supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya, including:
- The book Siyasat al-harb fi du'a' ahl al-thughur (Politics of war in the supplication of people of frontiers) by Ja'far Murtada al-Amili deals with tactics of defending the Islamic borders within 14 chapters. It was published by al-Markaz al-Islami li-l-Dirasat in 1428-2007. Moreover, a Persian translation of the book has been published by Nashr-i Ma'arif in 2015.
- Marzdaran dar du'a-yi Imam Sajjad (a) (Border keepers in Imam al-Sajjad's supplication) by Asad Allah Bayat Zanjani was published in 42 chapters by Mihr Amir al-Mu'minin Publications in 2010.
Moreover, in the commentaries of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya, such as Riyad al-salikin by Sayyid Ali Khan al-Madani,, Fi zilal al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya by Muhammad Jawad Mughniya, Riyad al-'arifin by Muhammad b. Muhammad al-Darabi, Afaq al-ruh by Muhammad Husayn Fadl Allah, the twenty-seventh supplication is explicated. The words used in the supplication is also elucidated in lexical commentaries such as Fayd Kashani's Ta'liqat 'ala l-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya and 'Izz al-Din al-Jaza'iri's Sharh al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya
The twenty-seventh supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya is expounded in such commentaries as Diyar-i ashiqan by Husayn Ansarian, Shuhud wa shinakht by Muhammad Hasan Mamduhi Kirmanshahi, Sharh wa tarjumi-yi Sahifi-yi Sajjadiyya by Sayyid Ahmad Fihri, and some other books in Persian.
|For the full text, see text:Twenty-seventh supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya.|
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 2, p. 449.
- Anṣārīyān, Diyār-i āshiqān, vol. 7, p. 25-76; Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 2, p. 469-509.
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn, vol. 4, p. 177-280.
- Mughnīya, Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa, p. 347-368.
- Dārābī, Rīyāḍ al-ʿārifīn, p. 343-372.
- Faḍl Allāh, Āfāq al-rūḥ, vol. 2, p. 39-78.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Taʿlīqāt ʿalā l-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, p. 61-5.
- Jazā'irī, Sharh al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, p. 147-155.
- Anṣārīyān, Diyār-i āshiqān, vol. 7, p. 25-76.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 2, p. 469-509.
- Fihrī, Sharḥ wa tarjuma-yi Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, vol. 2, p. 453-473.
- Anṣārīyān, Ḥusayn. Dīyār-i Āshiqān: tafsīr-i jāmiʿ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Payām-i Āzādī, 1372 Sh.
- Dārābī, Muḥammad b. Muḥammad. Rīyāḍ al-ʿārifīn fī sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Edited by Ḥusayn Dargāhī. Tehran: Nashr-i Uswa, 1379 Sh.
- Faḍl Allāh, Sayyid Muḥammad Ḥusayn. Āfāq al-rūḥ. Beirut: Dār al-Mālik, 1420 AH.
- Fihrī, Sayyid Aḥmad. Sharḥ wa tarjuma-yi Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Nashr-i Uswa, 1388 Sh.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Muḥammad b. al-Murtaḍā al-. Taʿlīqāt ʿalā l-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Muʾassisat al-Buḥūth wa l-Taḥqīqāt al-Thiqāfīyya, 1407 AH.
- Jazāʾirī, ʿIzz al-Dīn. Sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Beirut: Dār al-Taʿāruf li-l-Maṭbūʿāt, 1402 AH.
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Sayyid ʿAlīkhān. Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn fī sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa Sayyid al-Sājjidīn. Qom: Muʾassisat al-Nashr al-Islāmī, 1435 AH.
- Mughnīya, Muḥammad Jawād al-. Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Qom: Dār al-Kitāb al-Islāmī, 1428 AH.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht; tarjuma wa sharḥ Ṣaḥīfa-yi Sajjādīyya. Qom: Būstān-i Kitāb, 1388 SH.