Thirty-eighth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya
The thirty-eighth supplication of al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya (Arabic: الدعاء الثامن والثلاثون من الصحيفة السجادية) is a supplication transmitted from Imam al-Sajjad (a) which he recited when he wanted to apologize for failure to do justice to people and to be emancipated from the fire of the Hell. The supplication includes apologies for failure to be grateful toward the beneficence of others, failure to defend a person who is oppressed in one’s presence, failure to give priority to those in need who asked us for help, failure to conceal other people’s flaws, failure to accept other people’s apologies, and failure to do observe other people’s rights.
In the thirty-eighth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya, Imam al-Sajjad (a) apologizes to God because of his failure to do justice to people, asking for His forgiveness. It involves references to certain factors of healthy social relations.
Here are the doctrines in the supplication:
- The obligation of defending the oppressed
- The obligation of being grateful toward good deeds
- Significance of accepting other people’s apologies
- The forbiddance of revealing the secrets of one’s religious brothers
- The obligation of forbidding the wrong when a sin is being committed
- One must not procrastinate the observance of other people’s rights
- The obligation of fulfilling other people’s requests
- The request for a feeling of aversion of sins after the repentance
- Repentance as penitence about past sins and as resistance toward future sins.
In the commentaries of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya, such as Riyad al-salikin by Sayyid Ali Khan al-Madani,, Fi zilal al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya by Muhammad Jawad Mughniya, Riyad al-'arifin by Muhammad b. Muhammad al-Darabi, Afaq al-ruh by Muhammad Husayn Fadl Allah, the thirty-eighth supplication is explicated. The words used in the supplication is also elucidated in lexical commentaries such as Fayd Kashani's Ta'liqat 'ala l-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya and 'Izz al-Din al-Jaza'iri's Sharh al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya
The thirty-eighth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya is expounded in such commentaries as Shuhud wa shinakht by Muhammad Hasan Mamduhi Kirmanshahi, Sharh wa tarjumi-yi Sahifi-yi Sajjadiyya by Sayyid Ahmad Fihri, in Persian.
|For the full text, see text:Thirty-eighth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya.|
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 3, p. 251.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 3, p. 251-258; Commentary of 35th supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya, Irfan website (Persian)
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn, vol. 5, p. 273-298.
- Mughnīya, Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa, p. 445-8.
- Dārābī, Rīyāḍ al-ʿārifīn, p. 475-8.
- Faḍl Allāh, Āfāq al-rūḥ, vol. 2, p. 253-272.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Taʿlīqāt ʿalā l-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, p. 74-5.
- Jazā'irī, Sharh al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, p. 193-4.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 3, p. 249-258.
- Fihrī, Sharḥ wa tarjuma-yi Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, vol. 3, p. 119-126.
- Dārābī, Muḥammad b. Muḥammad. Rīyāḍ al-ʿārifīn fī sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Edited by Ḥusayn Dargāhī. Tehran: Nashr-i Uswa, 1379 Sh.
- Faḍl Allāh, Sayyid Muḥammad Ḥusayn. Āfāq al-rūḥ. Beirut: Dār al-Mālik, 1420 AH.
- Fihrī, Sayyid Aḥmad. Sharḥ wa tarjuma-yi Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Nashr-i Uswa, 1388 Sh.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Muḥammad b. al-Murtaḍā al-. Taʿlīqāt ʿalā l-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Muʾassisat al-Buḥūth wa l-Taḥqīqāt al-Thiqāfīyya, 1407 AH.
- Jazāʾirī, ʿIzz al-Dīn. Sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Beirut: Dār al-Taʿāruf li-l-Maṭbūʿāt, 1402 AH.
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Sayyid ʿAlīkhān. Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn fī sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa Sayyid al-Sājjidīn. Qom: Muʾassisat al-Nashr al-Islāmī, 1435 AH.
- Mughnīya, Muḥammad Jawād al-. Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Qom: Dār al-Kitāb al-Islāmī, 1428 AH.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht; tarjuma wa sharḥ Ṣaḥīfa-yi Sajjādīyya. Qom: Būstān-i Kitāb, 1388 SH.