Second Supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya
The second supplication of al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya (Arabic: الدعاء الثاني من الصحيفة السجادية) is devoted mainly to invoking blessings upon the Prophet (s) and mentioning his efforts in calling people to the path of God. Imam al-Sajjad (a), according to this supplication, gives thanks to God for sending the Prophet (s) and asks the Almighty to elevate him to the highest rank for his sacrifice and efforts towards promoting Islam.
This supplication is expounded thoroughly in such commentaries as Riyad al-salikin fi sharh-i sahifat Sayyid al-Sajidin (in Arabic) by al-Sayyid 'Ali Khan al-Madani and Diyar-i ashiqan (in Farsi) by Husayn Ansarian.
The main theme of the second supplication in al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya is invoking blessings upon the Prophet (s) and mentioning his high morals and great efforts for the cause of calling people to the path of God and Islam. The themes of this supplication can be listed as follows:
- Praising God for conferring a favor upon Muslims in that He sent Muhammad (s) to them as their Prophet
- God's power to do all things, whether big or small, and that nothing is Hidden from Him.
- Muhammad (s) is the last Prophet, and Islam is the final religion.
- Describing Prophet Muhammad (s) (the trustee of revelation, superior to all creation, the chosen one, the leader of mercy and all goodness, and the key to blessings)
- The efforts and sacrifice of the Prophet (s) towards calling people to the path of God and Islam (such as endangering his life, leaving his hometown, etc)
- Asking God to elevate the Prophet (s) to the highest rank in Paradise
- Asking God to accept the intercession of the Prophet (s) for his Ahl al-Bayt (a) and his ummah
- God's promise to believers will never be broken.
In the commentaries of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya, such as Fi zilal al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya by Muhammad Jawad Mughniya, Riyad al-'arifin by Muhammad b. Muhammad al-Darabi, Afaq al-ruh by Muhammad Husayn Fadl Allah, and Riyad al-salikin by Sayyid Ali Khan al-Madani, the second supplication is explicated. The words used in the supplication is also elucidated in lexical commentaries such as Fayd Kashani's Ta'liqat 'ala al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya.
The second supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya is expounded in such commentaries as Diyar-i ashiqan by Husayn Ansarian, Shuhud wa shinakht by Muhammad Hasan Mamduhi Kirmanshahi, and Asrar-i khamushan by Muhammad Taqi Khalaji in Persian. This supplication is also discussed by Muhammad Sultan Muradi in Sima-yi Payambar-i Aʿzam dar Sahifa Sajjadiyya and by Sayyid Javad Hashiminijad in Muhammad raz-i afarinish.
- Anṣārīyān, Dīyār-i Āshiqān, vol. 2, p. 17-356; Khalajī, Asrār-i khāmūshān, vol. 2, p. 16-131.
- Mughnīya, Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa, p. 73-82.
- Dārābī, Rīyāḍ al-ʿārifīn, p. 49-64.
- Faḍl Allāh, Āfāq al-rūḥ, vol. 1, p. 55-67.
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn, vol. 1, p. 415-505.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Taʿlīqāt ʿalā al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, p. 20-22.
- Anṣārīyān, Ḥusayn. Dīyār-i Āshiqān: tafsīr-i jāmiʿ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Payām-i Āzādī, 1373 Sh.
- Dārābī, Muḥammad b. Muḥammad. Rīyāḍ al-ʿārifīn fī sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Edited by Ḥusayn Dargāhī. Tehran: Nashr-i Uswa, 1379 Sh.
- Faḍl Allāh, Sayyid Muḥammad Ḥusayn. Āfāq al-rūḥ. Beirut: Dār al-Mālik, 1420 AH.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Muḥammad b. al-Murtaḍā al-. Taʿlīqāt ʿalā al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Muʾassisat al-Buḥūth wa al-Taḥqīqāt al-Thiqāfīyya, 1407 AH.
- Hāshimīnijād, Sayyid Jawād. Muḥammad rāz-i āfarīnish. Qom: Intishārāt-i Āyāt-i Bayyināt, 1385 Sh.
- Khalajī, Muḥammad Taqī. Asrār-i khāmūshān. Qom: Partuw Khurshīd, 1383 Sh.
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Sayyid ʿAlīkhān. Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn fī sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa Sayyid al-Sājjidīn. Qom: Muʾassisat al-Nashr al-Islāmī, 1409 AH.
- Mughnīya, Muḥammad Jawād al-. Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Qom: Dār al-Kitāb al-Islāmī, 1428 AH.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Ḥasan. Shuhūd wa shinākht; tarjuma wa sharḥ Ṣaḥīfa-yi Sajjādīyya. Qom: Būstān-i Kitāb, 1388 SH.
- Sulṭān Murādī, Muḥammad. Sīmāy-i payāmbar-i aʿzam dar Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Qom: Intishārāt-i Sibṭ al-Nabī, 1385 Sh.