The forty-ninth supplication of al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya (Arabic: الدعاء التاسع والأربعون من الصحيفة السجادية) is a supplication transmitted from Imam al-Sajjad (a), which he recited to repel his enemies’ guile and plots. In this supplication, God is referred to as one’s true refuge against one’s enemies and Satan. Moreover, Imam al-Sajjad (a) points out that unpleasant events could only be kept away by God.
Here are the doctrines of the supplication:
- Praise to God because of concealing the shortcomings and forgiving the wrongdoings of His servants
- Sins as gates to valleys of destruction
- God as one’s true refuge
- Rescue from divine punishment through monotheism
- God’s special care for His righteous servants
- Eradication of disappointment in light of Islamic doctrines
- God keeps away unpleasant accidents
- Taking refuge to God against the evils of enemies with drawn swords
- God's awareness of the enemies’ hostilities
- God helps believers before they ask Him
- Taking refuge to God from hypocrisy and flattery of some enemies
- Enemies being entangled in the traps they make for believers
- The jealous being trapped in remorse and sadness due to their hostility toward believers
- Immunity against fear from and oppression by other people by taking refuge to God
- One’s good opinions of God coming true, and compensation of poverty and misery by God
- People’s disobedience of God, despite God’s grace
- Gratefulness toward God because He does not haste in the punishment of His servants
- Confession to one’s wrongdoings as a manner of servitude toward God
- The role of self-awareness in salvation
- The role of disappointment in the occurrence of abnormalities
- The necessity of knowing one’s enemies
- Confession to the abundance of blessings and shortcomings in thankfulness
- Proximity to God through the degree of Prophet Muhammad (s) and the guardianship of ʿAli (a)
- Asking for the ability to please the Lord
In the commentaries of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya, such as Riyad al-salikin by Sayyid Ali Khan al-Madani,, Fi zilal al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya by Muhammad Jawad Mughniya, Riyad al-'arifin by Muhammad b. Muhammad al-Darabi, Afaq al-ruh by Muhammad Husayn Fadl Allah, the forty-eighth supplication is explicated. The words used in the supplication is also elucidated in lexical commentaries such as Fayd Kashani's Ta'liqat 'ala l-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya and 'Izz al-Din al-Jaza'iri's Sharh al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya
The forty-ninth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya is expounded in such commentaries as Shuhud wa shinakht by Muhammad Hasan Mamduhi Kirmanshahi, Sharh wa tarjumi-yi Sahifi-yi Sajjadiyya by Sayyid Ahmad Fihri, in Persian.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 4, p. 275.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 4, p. 275-92; Commentary of 49th supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya, Irfan website (Persian)
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn, vol. 7, p. 243-296.
- Mughnīya, Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa, p. 625-635.
- Dārābī, Rīyāḍ al-ʿārifīn, p. 681-698.
- Faḍl Allāh, Āfāq al-rūḥ, vol. 2, p. 573-591.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Taʿlīqāt ʿalā l-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, p. 99-101.
- Jazā'irī, Sharh al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, p. 278-284.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 4, p. 269-292.
- Fihrī, Sharḥ wa tarjuma-yi Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, vol. 3, p. 525-529.
- Anṣārīyān, Ḥusayn. Dīyār-i Āshiqān: tafsīr-i jāmiʿ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Payām-i Āzādī, 1372 Sh.
- Dārābī, Muḥammad b. Muḥammad. Rīyāḍ al-ʿārifīn fī sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Edited by Ḥusayn Dargāhī. Tehran: Nashr-i Uswa, 1379 Sh.
- Faḍl Allāh, Sayyid Muḥammad Ḥusayn. Āfāq al-rūḥ. Beirut: Dār al-Mālik, 1420 AH.
- Fihrī, Sayyid Aḥmad. Sharḥ wa tarjuma-yi Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Nashr-i Uswa, 1388 Sh.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Muḥammad b. al-Murtaḍā al-. Taʿlīqāt ʿalā l-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Muʾassisat al-Buḥūth wa l-Taḥqīqāt al-Thiqāfīyya, 1407 AH.
- Jazāʾirī, ʿIzz al-Dīn. Sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Beirut: Dār al-Taʿāruf li-l-Maṭbūʿāt, 1402 AH.
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Sayyid ʿAlīkhān. Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn fī sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa Sayyid al-Sājjidīn. Qom: Muʾassisat al-Nashr al-Islāmī, 1435 AH.
- Mughnīya, Muḥammad Jawād al-. Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Qom: Dār al-Kitāb al-Islāmī, 1428 AH.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht; tarjuma wa sharḥ Ṣaḥīfa-yi Sajjādīyya. Qom: Būstān-i Kitāb, 1388 SH.