Sixth Supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya
The sixth supplication of al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya (Arabic: الدعاء السادس من الصحيفة السجادية) is a supplication transmitted from Imam al-Sajjad (a) which is recited every morning and every evening. It involves references to the creation of the day and the night, and their effects on man's life as well as the obligations of believers during the day and the night. In this supplication, Imam al-Sajjad (a) points to God's servants being tested by the day and the night, creatures' motions under divine power, prayer for doing good deeds and having the opportunity for thanking God, testifying the prophethood of Muhammad (s), and asking for God's forgiveness.
This supplication is expounded thoroughly in such commentaries as Riyad al-salikin fi sharh-i sahifat Sayyid al-Sajidin (in Arabic) by al-Sayyid 'Ali Khan al-Madani and Diyar-i ashiqan (in Farsi) by Husayn Ansarian.
The theme of the sixth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya, which is recited every morning and every evening, consists in an enumeration of divine blessings, including the creation of the day and the night, their fine order, and their benefits for man's life, as well as the obligations of believers during the day and the night, asking God for an opportunity for thanking Him, and greeting Muhammad (s) and his family. Here are the doctrines implicit in the supplication:
- Creation of the day and the night by the divine power and a reference to their order
- Day and night as means for giving livelihood to the servants and their growth
- Night as contributing to serenity and peacefulness and as refreshment of man and a way of receiving pleasures
- Day as giving sight to man in order to achieve grace and benefaction, livelihood, and the everlasting benefit of the afterlife
- God's servants being tested by day and night
- Thanking God for the existence of the day and the night
- The movement of all creatures under God's power and direction
- Goodness lying only in what God has given us
- Day as a witness of our actions, prayer for having a good day, and prayer for enjoying all its hours in the best way
- Angels as writers of man's deeds
- Prayer for one's immunity from disobedience of God
- Prayer for having the opportunity for doing good deeds, avoiding evils, enjoining the right and forbidding the wrong, protection of Islam, guiding the perplexed, helping those in need, and giving refuge to sorrowful people
- Contentment with God's predestinations and witnessing God's Oneness
- Witnessing Muhammad's prophethood and asking for the greatest reward for the Prophet (s)
- Asking God's forgiveness
In the commentaries of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya, such as Fi zilal al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya by Muhammad Jawad Mughniya, Riyad al-'arifin by Muhammad b. Muhammad al-Darabi, Afaq al-ruh by Muhammad Husayn Fadl Allah, and Riyad al-salikin by Sayyid Ali Khan al-Madani, the sixth supplication is explicated. The words used in the supplication is also elucidated in lexical commentaries such as Fayd Kashani's Ta'liqat 'ala l-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya.
The sixth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya is expounded in such commentaries as Diyar-i ashiqan by Husayn Ansarian, Shuhud wa shinakht by Muhammad Hasan Mamduhi Kirmanshahi, and Sharh wa tarjumi-yi Sahifi-yi Sajjadiyya by Sayyid Ahmad Fihri in Persian.
|For the full text, see text:Sixth Supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya.|
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 1, p. 357.
- Anṣārīyān, Diyār-i āshiqān, vol. 3, p. 15-101.
- Mughnīya, Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa, p. 119-134.
- Dārābī, Rīyāḍ al-ʿārifīn, p. 103-118.
- Faḍl Allāh, Āfāq al-rūḥ, vol. 1, p. 133-184.
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn, vol. 2, p. 175-300.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Taʿlīqāt ʿalā l-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, p. 30-33.
- Anṣārīyān, Diyār-i āshiqān, vol. 3, p. 15-101.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 1, p. 357-420.
- Fihrī, Sharḥ wa tarjuma-yi Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, vol. 1, p. 319-390.
- Anṣārīyān, Ḥusayn. Diyār-i āshiqān; jāmiʿ-i Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Payām-i Āzādī, 1371 Sh.
- Dārābī, Muḥammad b. Muḥammad. Riyāḍ al-ʿārifīn fī sharḥ Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Edited by Ḥusayn Dargāhī. Tehran: Nashr-i Uswa, 1379 Sh.
- Faḍl Allāh, Sayyid Muḥammad Ḥusayn. Āfāq al-ruḥ. Beirut: Dār al-Milāk, 1420 AH.
- Fihrī, Sayyid Aḥmad. Sharḥ wa tarjuma-yi Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Nashr-i Uswa, 1388 Sh.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Muḥammad b. al-Murtaḍā al-. Taʿlīqāt ʿalā al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Muʾassisat al-Buḥūth wa al-Taḥqīqāt al-Thiqāfiyya, 1407 AH.
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Sayyid ʿAlīkhān. Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn fī sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa Sayyid al-Sājjidīn. Qom: Muʾassisat al-Nashr al-Islāmī, 1435 AH.
- Mughnīya, Muḥammad Jawād al-. Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Qom: Dār al-Kitāb al-Islāmī, 1428 AH.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Ḥasan. Shuhūd wa shinākht; tarjuma wa sharḥ-i Ṣaḥīfa-yi Sajjādīyya. Introduced by Āyatullāh Jawādī Āmulī. Qom: Būstān-i Kitāb, 1388 Sh.