Fourth Supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya
The fourth supplication of al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya (Arabic: الدعاء الرابع من الصحيفة السجادية) is a supplication transmitted from Imam al-Sajjad (a) in which prophets are greeted, the companions of the Prophet (s) are characterized, and the effects of divine greetings to His servants are delineated. In this supplication, Imam al-Sajjad (a) also points to the pious being led by prophets, the believers' deference toward reasons, people's standings toward the rise of prophets, and the immunity of the believers against seditions.
This supplication is expounded thoroughly in such commentaries as Riyad al-salikin fi sharh-i sahifat Sayyid al-Sajidin (in Arabic) by al-Sayyid 'Ali Khan al-Madani and Diyar-i ashiqan (in Farsi) by Husayn Ansarian.
The main theme of the fourth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya consists in greetings to the followers of prophets, the characteristics of Prophet Muhammad's companions, and the effects of divine greeting of His servants. Here are the doctrines implicit in this supplication:
- Greetings to the followers of prophets and those who endorse them
- Prophets as leaders and guides of the pious
- People's standings toward the rise of prophets
- The believers' deference toward proofs and reasons
- Divine satisfaction as the reward of the believers (their reward for having tolerated hardships in their practice of the religion)
- Asking for God's forgiveness and His best rewards for the companions of the Prophet (s)
- Praying for deceased believers
- Sending peace upon the followers of the Prophet (s) and their spouses and children
- The safe station being the place of the pious
- Immunity of the believers against seditions
- Characteristics of the companions of the Prophet (s): observing the conditions of Muhammad's companionship, hasting to believe in his call, Muslims’ profitable deal with God by believing in Him, experiencing deprivations, and their banishment on the path of belief.
- Effects of divine greeting for the believers: discouraging man from sins, protecting him against Satan's deceptions, having opportunities for good deeds and beliefs, being rescued from hardships of death, and turning toward the afterlife and immortal life.
In the commentaries of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya, such as Fi zilal al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya by Muhammad Jawad Mughniya, Riyad al-'arifin by Muhammad b. Muhammad al-Darabi, Afaq al-ruh by Muhammad Husayn Fadl Allah, and Riyad al-salikin by Sayyid Ali Khan al-Madani, the forth supplication is explicated. The words used in the supplication is also elucidated in lexical commentaries such as Fayd Kashani's Ta'liqat 'ala l-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya.
The forth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya is expounded in such commentaries as Diyar-i ashiqan by Husayn Ansarian, Shuhud wa shinakht by Muhammad Hasan Mamduhi Kirmanshahi, Asrar-i khamushan by Muhammad Taqi Khalaji, and Sharh wa tarjumi-yi Sahife-ye Sajjadiyya by Sayyid Ahmad Fihri in Persian.
|For the full text, see text:Fourth Supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya.|
- Anṣārīyān, Diyār-i āshiqān, vol. 3, p. 151-343; Khalajī, Asrār-i khāmūshān, vol. 2, p. 235-298.
- Mughnīya, Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa, p. 95-106.
- Dārābī, Rīyāḍ al-ʿārifīn, p. 83-95.
- Faḍl Allāh, Āfāq al-rūḥ, vol. 1, p. 97-114.
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn, vol. 2, p. 81-136.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Taʿlīqāt ʿalā l-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, p. 27-29.
- Anṣārīyān, Diyār-i āshiqān, vol. 3, p. 151-343.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 1, p. 319-336.
- Khalajī, Asrār-i khāmūshān, vol. 2, p. 235-298.
- Fihrī, Sharḥ wa tarjuma-yi Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, vol. 1, p. 257-276.
- Anṣārīyān, Ḥusayn. Diyār-i āshiqān; jāmiʿ-i Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Payām-i Āzādī, 1373 Sh.
- Dārābī, Muḥammad b. Muḥammad. Riyāḍ al-ʿārifīn fī sharḥ Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Edited by Ḥusayn Dargāhī. Tehran: Nashr-i Uswa, 1379 Sh.
- Faḍl Allāh, Sayyid Muḥammad Ḥusayn. Āfāq al-ruḥ. Beirut: Dār al-Milāk, 1420 AH.
- Fihrī, Sayyid Aḥmad. Sharḥ wa tarjuma-yi Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Nashr-i Uswa, 1388 Sh.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Muḥammad b. al-Murtaḍā al-. Taʿlīqāt ʿalā al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Muʾassisat al-Buḥūth wa al-Taḥqīqāt al-Thiqāfiyya, 1407 AH.
- Khalajī, Muḥammad Taqī. Asrār-i khāmūshān. Qom: Partuw-i Khurshīd, 1383 Sh.
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Sayyid ʿAlīkhān. Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn fī sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa Sayyid al-Sājjidīn. Qom: Muʾassisat al-Nashr al-Islāmī, 1435 AH.
- Mughnīya, Muḥammad Jawād al-. Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Qom: Dār al-Kitāb al-Islāmī, 1428 AH.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Ḥasan. Shuhūd wa shinākht; tarjuma wa sharḥ-i Ṣaḥīfa-yi Sajjādīyya. Introduced by Āyatullāh Jawādī Āmulī. Qom: Būstān-i Kitāb, 1388 Sh.