Eleventh Supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya
The eleventh supplication of al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya (Arabic: الدعاء الحادي عشر من الصحيفة السجادية) is a supplication transmitted from Imam al-Sajjad (a), in which he asks God for a good fate in this world and the afterlife. Moreover, in this supplication, the Imam (a) makes references to the impact of human actions on the states of angels, God's answer to supplications, and supplication as a good way of filling in one's spare time.
This supplication is expounded thoroughly in such commentaries as Riyad al-salikin (in Arabic) by al-Sayyid 'Ali Khan al-Madani and Diyar-i ashiqan by Husayn Ansarian and Shuhud wa shinakht by Hasan Mamduhi Kirmanshahid (in Farsi).
The main subject-matter of the eleventh supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya is the prayer for a good fate in this world and the afterlife. Here are the doctrines of the supplication as uttered by Imam al-Sajjad (a) within five sections:
- Remembrance of God as a ground of honor; His gratitude as a ground of salvation; and His obedience as a ground of redemption.
- Supplication as a good way of filling in one's spare time
- The effect of one's actions on the states of angels: the delight of the angel who writes good deeds when a good deed is done
- Prayer for a good fate at the time of death
- Emancipation from divine reprehension and reproach as a result of repentance
- Prayer for God's concealment of one's sins on the day of resurrection
- God's answer to people's supplications.
In the commentaries of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya, such as Fi zilal al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya by Muhammad Jawad Mughniya, Riyad al-'arifin by Muhammad b. Muhammad al-Darabi, Afaq al-ruh by Muhammad Husayn Fadl Allah, and Riyad al-salikin by Sayyid Ali Khan al-Madani, the eleventh supplication is explicated. The words used in the supplication is also elucidated in lexical commentaries such as Fayd Kashani's Ta'liqat 'ala l-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya.
The eleventh supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya is expounded in such commentaries as Diyar-i ashiqan by Husayn Ansarian, Shuhud wa shinakht by Muhammad Hasan Mamduhi Kirmanshahi, Sharh wa tarjumi-yi Sahifi-yi Sajjadiyya by Sayyid Ahmad Fihri, in Persian.
|For the full text, see text:Eleventh Supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya.|
- Translation and commentary of Eleventh Supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya]
- Anṣārīyān, Diyār-i āshiqān, vol. 5, p. 101-122; Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 1, p. 485-500.
- Mughnīya, Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa, p. 165-169.
- Dārābī, Rīyāḍ al-ʿārifīn, p. 141-143.
- Faḍl Allāh, Āfāq al-rūḥ, vol. 1, p. 285-298.
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn, vol. 2, p. 441-463.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Taʿlīqāt ʿalā l-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, p. 35.
- Anṣārīyān, Diyār-i āshiqān, vol. 5, p. 97-122.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 1, p. 485-500.
- Fihrī, Sharḥ wa tarjuma-yi Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, vol.1, p. 529-560.
- Anṣārīyān, Ḥusayn. Dīyār-i Āshiqān: tafsīr-i jāmiʿ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Payām-i Āzādī, 1372 Sh.
- Dārābī, Muḥammad b. Muḥammad. Rīyāḍ al-ʿārifīn fī sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Edited by Ḥusayn Dargāhī. Tehran: Nashr-i Uswa, 1379 Sh.
- Faḍl Allāh, Sayyid Muḥammad Ḥusayn. Āfāq al-rūḥ. Beirut: Dār al-Mālik, 1420 AH.
- Fihrī, Sayyid Aḥmad. Sharḥ wa tarjuma-yi Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Nashr-i Uswa, 1388 Sh.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Muḥammad b. al-Murtaḍā al-. Taʿlīqāt ʿalā l-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Muʾassisat al-Buḥūth wa l-Taḥqīqāt al-Thiqāfīyya, 1407 AH.
- Khalajī, Muḥammad Taqī. Asrār-i khāmūshān. Qom: Partuw Khurshīd, 1383 Sh.
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Sayyid ʿAlīkhān. Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn fī sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa Sayyid al-Sājjidīn. Qom: Muʾassisat al-Nashr al-Islāmī, 1435 AH.
- Mughnīya, Muḥammad Jawād al-. Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Qom: Dār al-Kitāb al-Islāmī, 1428 AH.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Ḥasan. Shuhūd wa shinākht; tarjuma wa sharḥ Ṣaḥīfa-yi Sajjādīyya. Qom: Būstān-i Kitāb, 1388 SH.