Twenty-sixth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya
The twenty-sixth supplication of al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya (Arabic: الدعاء السادس والعشرون من الصحيفة السجادية) is a supplication transmitted from Imam al-Sajjad (a), concerning one's neighbors and friends. In this supplication, Imam al-Sajjad (a) asks God to help him observe the rights of his neighbors and friends. Moreover, he emphasizes the learning of good deeds, giving visits to the sick, helping the oppressed, and modest treatment of one's neighbors.
This supplication is expounded thoroughly in such commentaries as Riyad al-salikin (in Arabic) by al-Sayyid 'Ali Khan al-Madani and Diyar-i ashiqan by Husayn Ansarian and Shuhud wa shinakht by Hasan Mamduhi Kirmanshahid (in Farsi).
The main theme of the twenty-sixth supplication is the prayer for one's neighbors and friends. The supplication involves the rights of neighbors and friends, ways of treating them, as well as the relation between the individual and the society. Here are the doctrines of the supplication within four sections:
- Asking God to help one in doing justice to one's neighbors
- Praying for neighbors who recognize the rights of the Prophet's household
- Maintaining divine traditions
- Learning good deeds
- Helping the impoverished and fulfilling their needs
- Visiting the sick and welcoming one's travelers
- Keeping other people's secrets
- Helping the oppressed
- Willingness to donate
- Benefaction to one's neighbors and friends in exchange for their mistreatments
- Modest treatment of one's neighbors
- A neighbor becoming happy because of a neighbor
- Wishing for our neighbors what we wish for ourselves and condoning their faults.
In the commentaries of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya, such as Riyad al-salikin by Sayyid Ali Khan al-Madani,, Fi zilal al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya by Muhammad Jawad Mughniya, Riyad al-'arifin by Muhammad b. Muhammad al-Darabi, Afaq al-ruh by Muhammad Husayn Fadl Allah, the twenty-sixth supplication is explicated. The words used in the supplication is also elucidated in lexical commentaries such as Fayd Kashani's Ta'liqat 'ala l-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya and 'Izz al-Din al-Jaza'iri's Sharh al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya
The twenty-sixth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya is expounded in such commentaries as Diyar-i ashiqan by Husayn Ansarian, Shuhud wa shinakht by Muhammad Hasan Mamduhi Kirmanshahi, Sharh wa tarjumi-yi Sahifi-yi Sajjadiyya by Sayyid Ahmad Fihri, and some other books in Persian.
|For the full text, see text:Twenty-sixth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya.|
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 2, p. 449.
- Irfan website: Translation and commentary of Twenty-sixth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya (Persian)
- Anṣārīyān, Diyār-i āshiqān, vol. 6, p. 539-568; Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 2, p. 449-460.
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn, vol. 4, p. 149-176.
- Mughnīya, Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa, p. 337-345.
- Dārābī, Rīyāḍ al-ʿārifīn, p. 337-342.
- Faḍl Allāh, Āfāq al-rūḥ, vol. 2, p. 21-38.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Taʿlīqāt ʿalā l-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, p. 60-1.
- Jazā'irī, Sharh al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, p. 145-6.
- Anṣārīyān, Diyār-i āshiqān, vol. 6, p. 539-568.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 2, p. 449-460.
- Fihrī, Sharḥ wa tarjuma-yi Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, vol. 2, p. 435-441.
- Anṣārīyān, Ḥusayn. Dīyār-i Āshiqān: tafsīr-i jāmiʿ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Payām-i Āzādī, 1372 Sh.
- Dārābī, Muḥammad b. Muḥammad. Rīyāḍ al-ʿārifīn fī sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Edited by Ḥusayn Dargāhī. Tehran: Nashr-i Uswa, 1379 Sh.
- Faḍl Allāh, Sayyid Muḥammad Ḥusayn. Āfāq al-rūḥ. Beirut: Dār al-Mālik, 1420 AH.
- Fihrī, Sayyid Aḥmad. Sharḥ wa tarjuma-yi Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Nashr-i Uswa, 1388 Sh.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Muḥammad b. al-Murtaḍā al-. Taʿlīqāt ʿalā l-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Muʾassisat al-Buḥūth wa l-Taḥqīqāt al-Thiqāfīyya, 1407 AH.
- Jazāʾirī, ʿIzz al-Dīn. Sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Beirut: Dār al-Taʿāruf li-l-Maṭbūʿāt, 1402 AH.
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Sayyid ʿAlīkhān. Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn fī sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa Sayyid al-Sājjidīn. Qom: Muʾassisat al-Nashr al-Islāmī, 1435 AH.
- Mughnīya, Muḥammad Jawād al-. Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Qom: Dār al-Kitāb al-Islāmī, 1428 AH.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht; tarjuma wa sharḥ Ṣaḥīfa-yi Sajjādīyya. Qom: Būstān-i Kitāb, 1388 SH.