Thirty-ninth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya
The thirty-ninth supplication of al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya (Arabic: الدعاء التاسع والثلاثون من الصحيفة السجادية) is a supplication transmitted from Imam al-Sajjad (a) in which he asks for God’s forgiveness and mercy. In this supplication, God is asked to eradicate the desire for sins in one’s heart. It also prays for the forgiveness of those who have oppressed us. And when one has violated someone’s rights where he cannot reclaim them, he asks God to satisfy that person and to give him what he deserves. In this supplication, the human creation is deemed a sign of divine power.
This supplication is expounded thoroughly in such commentaries as Riyad al-salikin (in Arabic) by al-Sayyid 'Ali Khan al-Madani and Diyar-i ashiqan by Husayn Ansarian and Shuhud wa shinakht by Hasan Mamduhi Kirmanshahid (in Farsi).
In the thirty-ninth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya, Imam al-Sajjad (a) seeks to attract the divine mercy. In this supplication, the Fourth Imam (a) makes an appeal to his own forgiveness of other people’s misdeeds toward him in order to ask for God’s mercy, asking him to treat him with grace, rather than justice, and to forgive him.
Here are the doctrines in the supplication:
- Asking for avoidance of desire for disobedience
- Asking for eradication of the sources of sins
- Prayer for the forgiveness of those who have wronged us
- Asking for divine forgiveness and mercy because of our forgiveness of others
- Approximating God by forgiving others
- The role of forgiveness in the spiritual transcendence of man
- The difficulty of undergoing the punishment for misdeeds
- It is not hard for God to forgive
- The human creation as a sign of God’s power
- The burden of sins on one’s shoulders
- The human self-wrong by committing sins
- Asking for becoming a role-model for happy people
- People deserve punishment for their sins
- Self-disappointment because of one’s many sins and few good deeds
- The hope of sinners for divine forgiveness
- God’s exaltation from the names with which others are called.
In the commentaries of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya, such as Riyad al-salikin by Sayyid Ali Khan al-Madani,, Fi zilal al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya by Muhammad Jawad Mughniya, Riyad al-'arifin by Muhammad b. Muhammad al-Darabi, Afaq al-ruh by Muhammad Husayn Fadl Allah, the thirty-ninth supplication is explicated. The words used in the supplication is also elucidated in lexical commentaries such as Fayd Kashani's Ta'liqat 'ala l-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya and 'Izz al-Din al-Jaza'iri's Sharh al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya
The thirty-ninth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya is expounded in such commentaries as Diyar-i ashiqan by Husayn Ansarian, Shuhud wa shinakht by Muhammad Hasan Mamduhi Kirmanshahi, Sharh wa tarjumi-yi Sahifi-yi Sajjadiyya by Sayyid Ahmad Fihri, in Persian.
|For the full text, see text:Thirty-ninth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya.|
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 3, p. 263.
- Anṣārīyān, Diyār-i āshiqān, vol. 7, p. 299-303; Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 3, p. 263-277; Commentary of 39th supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya, Irfan website (Persian)
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn, vol. 5, p. 292-338.
- Mughnīya, Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa, p. 449-459.
- Dārābī, Rīyāḍ al-ʿārifīn, p. 479-488.
- Faḍl Allāh, Āfāq al-rūḥ, vol. 2, p. 273-290.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Taʿlīqāt ʿalā l-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, p. 75-6.
- Jazā'irī, Sharh al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, p. 195-9.
- Anṣārīyān, Diyār-i āshiqān, vol. 7, p. 293-303.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 3, p. 259-277.
- Fihrī, Sharḥ wa tarjuma-yi Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, vol. 3, p. 133-9.
- Anṣārīyān, Ḥusayn. Dīyār-i Āshiqān: tafsīr-i jāmiʿ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Payām-i Āzādī, 1372 Sh.
- Dārābī, Muḥammad b. Muḥammad. Rīyāḍ al-ʿārifīn fī sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Edited by Ḥusayn Dargāhī. Tehran: Nashr-i Uswa, 1379 Sh.
- Faḍl Allāh, Sayyid Muḥammad Ḥusayn. Āfāq al-rūḥ. Beirut: Dār al-Mālik, 1420 AH.
- Fihrī, Sayyid Aḥmad. Sharḥ wa tarjuma-yi Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Nashr-i Uswa, 1388 Sh.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Muḥammad b. al-Murtaḍā al-. Taʿlīqāt ʿalā l-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Muʾassisat al-Buḥūth wa l-Taḥqīqāt al-Thiqāfīyya, 1407 AH.
- Jazāʾirī, ʿIzz al-Dīn. Sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Beirut: Dār al-Taʿāruf li-l-Maṭbūʿāt, 1402 AH.
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Sayyid ʿAlīkhān. Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn fī sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa Sayyid al-Sājjidīn. Qom: Muʾassisat al-Nashr al-Islāmī, 1435 AH.
- Mughnīya, Muḥammad Jawād al-. Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Qom: Dār al-Kitāb al-Islāmī, 1428 AH.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht; tarjuma wa sharḥ Ṣaḥīfa-yi Sajjādīyya. Qom: Būstān-i Kitāb, 1388 SH.