Thirty-second supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya
The thirty-second supplication of al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya (Arabic: الدعاء الثاني والثلاثون من الصحيفة السجادية) is a supplication transmitted from Imam al-Sajjad (a) which he recited after his Night Prayer in which he confessed to his sins and asked God to forgive him. Moreover, the supplication involves references to certain divine attributes, Satan's characteristics, the ways in which he sneaks into people's souls, characteristics of the punishment in the Hell, and against them, it refers to divine forgiveness and mercy, taking refuge to God, and intercession as ways of emancipation from Satan and punishment.
This supplication is expounded thoroughly in such commentaries as Riyad al-salikin (in Arabic) by al-Sayyid 'Ali Khan al-Madani and Diyar-i ashiqan by Husayn Ansarian and Shuhud wa shinakht by Hasan Mamduhi Kirmanshahid (in Farsi).
The thirty-second supplication is a supplication in al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya, which was recited by Imam al-Sajjad (a) after he performed his Night Prayer, in which he confessed to his sins and asked God to forgive them. The supplication is deemed significant because it involves divine attributes and apologies which work to attract divine mercy. Here are the doctrines of the supplication:
- The perpetuity of God's kingdom and reign
- God's absolute power
- The perpetuity of God's honor
- The infinity of divine essence and attributes
- Failure of describers to describe Him
- The undefeatable kingdom of God
- God's superior rule over all creatures
- Impossibility of knowing God
- God as eternal and sempiternal
- The human inability in performing his deeds
- Asking for God's mercy and forgiveness due to paucity of obedience and excess of disobedience on the list of one's deeds
- Taking refuge to God as a way of redemption from one's misdeeds
- God's unlimited knowledge of human deeds (God's encompassing the entire order of being)
- Complaint about Iblis to God, and taking refuge to God from the evils of Satan
- Consequences of following Satan (falling in destruction, sins, and provocation of God's wrath)
- The gradual fall of man
- God as the only refuge and intercessor and saver
- Asking for divine forgiveness
- Confession to one's sins before God
- Confession to paucity of one's good deeds
- God's concealment of His servants' sins
- Fear from, and hope for, God (khawf and raja')
- God as the most trustworthy being
- God's mercy and forgiveness as the sources of one's hope
- Asking God for concealment and secrecy on the day of resurrection
- The stages of the human creation (description of the baby's condition in the mother's womb)
- Divine direction and arrangement in the stages of the human development
- God's everlasting grace and beneficence to His servants
- Asking God for livelihood
- Taking refuge to God from the fire of the Hell
- Characteristics of the fire of the Hell
- Kinds of punishments in the Hell
- Hope for God's grace and mercy for emancipation from the Hell
- Greetings and peace to Muhammad (s) and his household.
In the commentaries of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya, such as Riyad al-salikin by Sayyid Ali Khan al-Madani,, Fi zilal al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya by Muhammad Jawad Mughniya, Riyad al-'arifin by Muhammad b. Muhammad al-Darabi, Afaq al-ruh by Muhammad Husayn Fadl Allah, the thirty-second supplication is explicated. The words used in the supplication is also elucidated in lexical commentaries such as Fayd Kashani's Ta'liqat 'ala l-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya and 'Izz al-Din al-Jaza'iri's Sharh al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya
The thirty-second supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya is expounded in such commentaries as Diyar-i ashiqan by Husayn Ansarian, Shuhud wa shinakht by Muhammad Hasan Mamduhi Kirmanshahi, Sharh wa tarjumi-yi Sahifi-yi Sajjadiyya by Sayyid Ahmad Fihri, and some other books in Persian.
|For the full text, see text:Thirty-second supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya.|
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 3, p. 35.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 3, p. 86-157.
- Commentary of 32th supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya, Irfan website (Persian)
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn, vol. 5, p. 5-122.
- Mughnīya, Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa, p. 401-418.
- Dārābī, Rīyāḍ al-ʿārifīn, p. 417-441.
- Faḍl Allāh, Āfāq al-rūḥ, vol. 2, p. 161-188.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Taʿlīqāt ʿalā l-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, p. 68.
- Jazā'irī, Sharh al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, p. 170-9.
- Anṣārīyān, Diyār-i āshiqān, vol. 7, p. 197-226.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 3, p. 77-157.
- Fihrī, Sharḥ wa tarjuma-yi Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, vol. 3, p. 19-63.
- Anṣārīyān, Ḥusayn. Dīyār-i Āshiqān: tafsīr-i jāmiʿ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Payām-i Āzādī, 1372 Sh.
- Dārābī, Muḥammad b. Muḥammad. Rīyāḍ al-ʿārifīn fī sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Edited by Ḥusayn Dargāhī. Tehran: Nashr-i Uswa, 1379 Sh.
- Faḍl Allāh, Sayyid Muḥammad Ḥusayn. Āfāq al-rūḥ. Beirut: Dār al-Mālik, 1420 AH.
- Fihrī, Sayyid Aḥmad. Sharḥ wa tarjuma-yi Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Nashr-i Uswa, 1388 Sh.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Muḥammad b. al-Murtaḍā al-. Taʿlīqāt ʿalā l-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Muʾassisat al-Buḥūth wa l-Taḥqīqāt al-Thiqāfīyya, 1407 AH.
- Jazāʾirī, ʿIzz al-Dīn. Sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Beirut: Dār al-Taʿāruf li-l-Maṭbūʿāt, 1402 AH.
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Sayyid ʿAlīkhān. Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn fī sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa Sayyid al-Sājjidīn. Qom: Muʾassisat al-Nashr al-Islāmī, 1435 AH.
- Mughnīya, Muḥammad Jawād al-. Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Qom: Dār al-Kitāb al-Islāmī, 1428 AH.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht; tarjuma wa sharḥ Ṣaḥīfa-yi Sajjādīyya. Qom: Būstān-i Kitāb, 1388 SH.