Forty-sixth Supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya
The forty-sixth supplication of al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya (Arabic: الدعاء السادس والأربعون من الصحيفة السجادية) is a supplication transmitted from Imam al-Sajjad (a), which he recited after Eid al-Fitr prayers and on Fridays. In this supplication, the Imam (a) acknowledges all divine blessings bestowed upon the servants, seeking the divine mercy in different ways.
The 46th supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya is a supplication recited by Imam al-Sajjad (a) after Eid al-Fitr prayers and on Fridays. These are the days honored and respected by Muslims with respect to God's grace towards His servants. Thus, in this supplication Imam Zayn al-'Abidin (a) seeks the divine grace in different wordings.
Here are the doctrines referred to in this supplication:
- Acknowledgement of God's mercy and kindness
- Servants not being disappointed of God
- The insignificance of beings in comparison to God's infinite existence
- God's admission of helpless human beings
- God's acceptance of His servants' insignificant deeds by giving them precious rewards
- God's refusal to haste in punishing His servants
- Honoring those in need
- God's responsiveness to His servants and the sinful
- God's invitation of His sinful servants to His sanctuary
- The wide realm of the divine governance
- God as the nurturer of the good and the obliterator of the bad
- The human free will as the ground for the divine test and the order of reward-giving
- Disappointment, loss, and destitution as repercussions of neglecting God
- The openness of the gates of the divine mercy
- The hope for the divine refuge
- God's giving time to, and tolerating, the sinful
- The stable constant dominion and kingdom of God
- The justice of the divine punishment
- The human failure to describe and thank the divine blessings
- Prayers for a good fate
- The necessity of repentance on the earliest occasion.
In the commentaries of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya, such as Riyad al-salikin by Sayyid Ali Khan al-Madani,, Fi zilal al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya by Muhammad Jawad Mughniya, Riyad al-'arifin by Muhammad b. Muhammad al-Darabi, Afaq al-ruh by Muhammad Husayn Fadl Allah, the forty-sixth supplication is explicated. The words used in the supplication is also elucidated in lexical commentaries such as Fayd Kashani's Ta'liqat 'ala l-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya and 'Izz al-Din al-Jaza'iri's Sharh al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya
The forty-sixth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya is expounded in such commentaries as Diyar-i ashiqan by Husayn Ansarian, Shuhud wa shinakht by Muhammad Hasan Mamduhi Kirmanshahi, Sharh wa tarjumi-yi Sahifi-yi Sajjadiyya by Sayyid Ahmad Fihri, in Persian.
|For the full text, see text:Forty-sixth Supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya.|
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 4, p. 28.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 7, p. 503-515; Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 4, p. 28-46; Commentary of 46th supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya, Irfan website (Persian)
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn, vol. 6, p. 199-252.
- Mughnīya, Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa, p. 539-549.
- Dārābī, Rīyāḍ al-ʿārifīn, p. 575-588.
- Faḍl Allāh, Āfāq al-rūḥ, vol. 2, p. 433-462.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Taʿlīqāt ʿalā l-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, p. 91-92.
- Jazā'irī, Sharh al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, p. 236-241.
- Anṣārīyān, Diyār-i āshiqān, vol. 7, p. 497-515.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 4, p. 23-46.
- Fihrī, Sharḥ wa tarjuma-yi Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, vol. 5, p. 345-364.
- Anṣārīyān, Ḥusayn. Dīyār-i Āshiqān: tafsīr-i jāmiʿ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Payām-i Āzādī, 1372 Sh.
- Dārābī, Muḥammad b. Muḥammad. Rīyāḍ al-ʿārifīn fī sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Edited by Ḥusayn Dargāhī. Tehran: Nashr-i Uswa, 1379 Sh.
- Faḍl Allāh, Sayyid Muḥammad Ḥusayn. Āfāq al-rūḥ. Beirut: Dār al-Mālik, 1420 AH.
- Fihrī, Sayyid Aḥmad. Sharḥ wa tarjuma-yi Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Nashr-i Uswa, 1388 Sh.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Muḥammad b. al-Murtaḍā al-. Taʿlīqāt ʿalā l-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Muʾassisat al-Buḥūth wa l-Taḥqīqāt al-Thiqāfīyya, 1407 AH.
- Jazāʾirī, ʿIzz al-Dīn. Sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Beirut: Dār al-Taʿāruf li-l-Maṭbūʿāt, 1402 AH.
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Sayyid ʿAlīkhān. Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn fī sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa Sayyid al-Sājjidīn. Qom: Muʾassisat al-Nashr al-Islāmī, 1435 AH.
- Mughnīya, Muḥammad Jawād al-. Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Qom: Dār al-Kitāb al-Islāmī, 1428 AH.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht; tarjuma wa sharḥ Ṣaḥīfa-yi Sajjādīyya. Qom: Būstān-i Kitāb, 1388 SH.