Fiftieth Supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya
The fiftieth supplication of al-Șahīfa al-Sajjādīyya (Arabic: الدعاء الخمسون من الصحيفة السجادية) is a supplication transmitted from Imam al-Sajjad (a), which is recited when fearing God for one’s sins. In this supplication, God is characterized as the nurturer and livelihood-giver of man, whose forgiveness is a source of hope. Moreover, reference is made to God's awareness of what is in people's hearts and God being All-clement.
The fiftieth supplication is a supplication in al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya that is recited when fearing God. According to Mamduhi Kirmanshahi, an interpreter of al-Sahifa, believers become full of fear on account of their sins. Thus, the return to God counts as the only refuge of a believer. Here are the doctrines of the supplication:
- God as the creator, nurturer, and livelihood-giver of humans
- Fear of disgrace and disrepute because of sins recorded in one's inventory of deeds
- Sins as factors leading to the waste of human talents and resulting in troubles
- Liberation from disappointment by means of God's promise of forgiveness
- God’s punishment is justice
- God’s not needing to punish His servants
- The secrets of the Heaven and the Earth not being concealed from God
- The fire of the Hell being beyond the human capacity
- Asking for God’s mercy and forgiveness
- The Infallibles (a) being aware of God’s secret names
- God's awareness of what is in people's hearts.
- God is All-clement, All-merciful.
- God's rule of the created world being eternal.
In the commentaries of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya, such as Riyad al-salikin by Sayyid Ali Khan al-Madani,, Fi zilal al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya by Muhammad Jawad Mughniya, Riyad al-'arifin by Muhammad b. Muhammad al-Darabi, Afaq al-ruh by Muhammad Husayn Fadl Allah, the fiftieth supplication is explicated in Arabic. The words used in the supplication is also elucidated in lexical commentaries such as Fayd Kashani's Ta'liqat 'ala l-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya and 'Izz al-Din al-Jaza'iri's Sharh al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya
The fiftieth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya is expounded in such commentaries as Diyar-i ashiqan by Husayn Ansarian, Shuhud wa shinakht by Muhammad Hasan Mamduhi Kirmanshahi, Sharh wa tarjumi-yi Sahifi-yi Sajjadiyya by Sayyid Ahmad Fihri, in Persian.
|For the full text, see text:Fiftieth Supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya.|
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn, vol. 7, p. 297-330.
- Mughnīya, Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa, p. 637-640.
- Dārābī, Rīyāḍ al-ʿārifīn, p. 699-705.
- Faḍl Allāh, Āfāq al-rūḥ, vol. 2, p. 592-600.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Taʿlīqāt ʿalā l-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, p. 101-102.
- Jazā'irī, Sharh al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, p. 285-287.
- Anṣārīyān, Diyār-i āshiqān, vol. 7, p. 587-599.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 4, p. 293-305.
- Fihrī, Sharḥ wa tarjuma-yi Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, vol. 3, p. 535-539.
- Anṣārīyān, Ḥusayn. Dīyār-i Āshiqān: tafsīr-i jāmiʿ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Payām-i Āzādī, 1372 Sh.
- Dārābī, Muḥammad b. Muḥammad. Rīyāḍ al-ʿārifīn fī sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Edited by Ḥusayn Dargāhī. Tehran: Nashr-i Uswa, 1379 Sh.
- Faḍl Allāh, Sayyid Muḥammad Ḥusayn. Āfāq al-rūḥ. Beirut: Dār al-Mālik, 1420 AH.
- Fihrī, Sayyid Aḥmad. Sharḥ wa tarjuma-yi Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Nashr-i Uswa, 1388 Sh.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Muḥammad b. al-Murtaḍā al-. Taʿlīqāt ʿalā l-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Muʾassisat al-Buḥūth wa l-Taḥqīqāt al-Thiqāfīyya, 1407 AH.
- Jazāʾirī, ʿIzz al-Dīn. Sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Beirut: Dār al-Taʿāruf li-l-Maṭbūʿāt, 1402 AH.
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Sayyid ʿAlīkhān. Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn fī sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa Sayyid al-Sājjidīn. Qom: Muʾassisat al-Nashr al-Islāmī, 1435 AH.
- Mughnīya, Muḥammad Jawād al-. Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Qom: Dār al-Kitāb al-Islāmī, 1428 AH.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht; tarjuma wa sharḥ Ṣaḥīfa-yi Sajjādīyya. Qom: Būstān-i Kitāb, 1388 SH.