44th Supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya
The forty-fourth supplication of al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya (Arabic: الدعاء الرابع والأربعون من الصحيفة السجادية) is a supplication transmitted from Imam al-Sajjad (a). It has 19 parts and is recited at the beginning of the month of Ramadan. The forty-fourth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya is expounded in such commentaries as Diyar-i ashiqan by Husayn Ansarian, Shuhud wa shinakht by Mamduhi Kirmanshahiin and Sahba-yi hudur by Muhammad Taqi Misbah Yazdi in Persian and in Riyad al-salikin by Sayyid Ali Khan al-Madani and some other books in Arabic.
- Praise be to God who made us praise Him.
- God gives rewards of a benefactor to people who praise Him.
- Praise be to God who guided us to His religion.
- The month of Ramadan is the month of fasting, Islam, purity, freedom, vigilance, and the revelation of the Qur'an.
- In order to honor the month of Ramadan, God forbade in it what was permitted in other months.
- Laylat al-Qadr—one of the Ramadan nights—is superior to a thousand months.
The supplication also mentions some rules of fasting; in fasting, one should observe the following:
- Avoiding foolish talks
- Abstaining from ogling,
- Preventing one's hands and legs from forbidden acts,
- Eating only what is permissible and pure,
- Preventing one's tongue from anything other than what God ordered,
- Avoiding Riya'.
The things to do in the month of Ramadan, according to this supplication:
- Being beneficent to one's relatives,
- Giving gifts to one's neighbors,
- Make sure that no one has any rights in one's possessions,
- Purify one's possessions by giving zakat
- Reconciling with a person who broke with us,
- Do justice to one who ignored our rights,
- Tolerate one's enemy except one with whom we are hostile because of God,
- Ask God to help us to be fasting, vigilant, humble to God, and free from devil in the other months as well.
In the commentaries of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya, such as Riyad al-salikin by Sayyid Ali Khan al-Madani, Fi zilal al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya by Muhammad Jawad Mughniya, Riyad al-'arifin by Muhammad b. Muhammad al-Darabi, Afaq al-ruh by Muhammad Husayn Fadl Allah, the forty-fourth supplication is explicated. The words used in the supplication is also elucidated in lexical commentaries such as Fayd Kashani's Ta'liqat 'ala l-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya and 'Izz al-Din al-Jaza'iri's Sharh al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya
The forty-fourth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya is expounded in such commentaries as Diyar-i ashiqan by Husayn Ansarian, Shuhud wa shinakht by Muhammad Hasan Mamduhi Kirmanshahi, Sharh wa tarjumi-yi Sahifi-yi Sajjadiyya by Sayyid Ahmad Fihri, and some other books in Persian.
|For the full text, see text:44th Supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya.|
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn, vol. 6, p. 5-94.
- Mughnīya, Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa, p. 499-513.
- Dārābī, Rīyāḍ al-ʿārifīn, p. 543-553.
- Faḍl Allāh, Āfāq al-rūḥ, vol. 2, p. 359-388.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Taʿlīqāt ʿalā l-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, p. 87-89.
- Jazā'irī, Sharh al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, p. 216-222.
- Anṣārīyān, Diyār-i āshiqān, vol. 7, p. 399-470.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 3, p. 383-424.
- Fihrī, Sharḥ wa tarjuma-yi Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, vol. 3, p. 221-279.
- Anṣārīyān, Ḥusayn. Dīyār-i Āshiqān: tafsīr-i jāmiʿ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Payām-i Āzādī, 1372 Sh.
- Dārābī, Muḥammad b. Muḥammad. Rīyāḍ al-ʿārifīn fī sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Edited by Ḥusayn Dargāhī. Tehran: Nashr-i Uswa, 1379 Sh.
- Faḍl Allāh, Sayyid Muḥammad Ḥusayn. Āfāq al-rūḥ. Beirut: Dār al-Mālik, 1420 AH.
- Fihrī, Sayyid Aḥmad. Sharḥ wa tarjuma-yi Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Nashr-i Uswa, 1388 Sh.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Muḥammad b. al-Murtaḍā al-. Taʿlīqāt ʿalā l-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Muʾassisat al-Buḥūth wa l-Taḥqīqāt al-Thiqāfīyya, 1407 AH.
- Jazāʾirī, ʿIzz al-Dīn. Sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Beirut: Dār al-Taʿāruf li-l-Maṭbūʿāt, 1402 AH.
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Sayyid ʿAlīkhān. Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn fī sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa Sayyid al-Sājjidīn. Qom: Muʾassisat al-Nashr al-Islāmī, 1435 AH.
- Mughnīya, Muḥammad Jawād al-. Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Qom: Dār al-Kitāb al-Islāmī, 1428 AH.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht; tarjuma wa sharḥ Ṣaḥīfa-yi Sajjādīyya. Qom: Būstān-i Kitāb, 1388 SH.
- Misbāḥ Yazdī, Muḥammad Taqī. Ṣahbā-yi ḥuḍūr. Qom: Muʾassisa-yi Āmūzishī wa Pazhūhishī-yi Imām Khomeiniī, 1391 Sh.