Ghadīr Khumm (Arabic : غدير خم) is the name of a pond located in Khumm on the road from Mecca to Medina. In this place, on Dhu l-Hijja 18,10 (March 16, 632), the Prophet (s) announced Imam 'Ali (a) as his successor. This event is known as the event of Ghadir.
Ghadir Khumm is located 4 km away from Juhfa. Juhfa is approximately 64 km to the north of Mecca and is one of the five Miqats for pilgrims performing Hajj. Due to the water supply and the shade of a few trees, Ghadir Khumm was a stopping place for caravans.
- Ibn Manẓūr, Lisān al-ʿArab, under the word 'Al-Ghadīr.
- Yāqūt al-Ḥamawī, Muʿjam al-Buldān, vol. 2, p. 111.
- Ibn Khallikān, Wafayāt al-Aʿyān, vol. 5, p. 231.
- Ibn Khallikān, Aḥmad b. Muḥammad. Wafayāt al-Aʿyān. Edited by Iḥsān ʿAbbās. Qom: al-Sharīf al-Raḍī, 1364 Sh.
- Ibn Manẓūr, Muḥammad b. Mukrim. Lisān al-ʿArab. Beirut: Dār al-Ṣādir, n.d.
- Yāqūt al-Ḥamawī. Muʿjam al-Buldān. Second edtion. Beirut: Dār al-Ṣādir, 1995.