'Abd Allah b. al-Imam 'Ali (a)
|'Abd Allah b. al-Imam 'Ali (a)|
The mausoleum of the collective grave of the martyrs of Karbala in the shrine of Imam al-Husayn (a)
|Full Name||'Abd Allah b. Ali b. Abi Talib|
|Companion of||Imam al-Husayn (a)|
|Wellknown Relatives||Umm al-Banin (mother), 'Abbas b. 'Ali (a) (brother)|
|Place(s) of Residence||Medina|
|Cause ofDeath/Martyrdom||Martyrdom in the Battle of Karbala|
|Burial Place||Karbala, Iraq|
|Activities||Participating in the Battle of Karbala|
ʿAbd Allāh b. ʿAlī b. Abī Ṭālib (Arabic: عبد الله بن علي بن أبي طالب) (b. 35/655 - d. 61/680) , one of the martyrs of Karbala, was the son of Imam Ali (a) and Fatima bt. Hizam (known as Umm al-Banin) and a brother of 'Abbas b. Ali (a). 'Abd Allah was 8 years younger than his brother 'Abbas (a), but he was older than his other brothers. Some sources said that he was the first among his brothers.
The name of 'Abd Allah b. al-Imam 'Ali (a) has also been mentioned in history books as 'Abd Allah al-Akbar and 'Abd Allah al-Asghar with the teknonym of Abu Muhammad. The name of his mother was Umm al-Banin bt. Hazam.
According to Abu l-Faraj, 'Abd Allah was martyred at the age of 25; however, some sources have said that he was 8 years younger than his brother Abbas (a) (who was martyred at the age of 34), but he was older than his other brothers. He lived with his father for 6 years and there is no more information about him before the Battle of 'Ashura.
|Family tree of Ahl al-Bayt (a)|
About the way he was martyred, it is reported that when the companions of Imam al-Husayn (a) and some of the Ahl al-Bayt (a) were martyred, Abbas (a) called 'Abd Allah and told him, "Go to the battlefield, so that I see your courage and take the pain of [losing] you a cause for my reward because you do not have any children." 'Abd Allah accepted and while he was making a battle cry, attacked the enemy. In the battle with the army of 'Umar b. Sa'd, 'Abd Allah b. Ali killed some of them and was finally martyred.
Some sources have mentioned Hani b. Thubayt al-Hadrami as the murderer of 'Abd Allah b. Ali. They said that he struck 'Abd Allah on the head and martyred him. But, another report, mentions Khuli b. Yazid as the murderer of 'Abd Allah, who shot an arrow at 'Abd Allah, and then, a man from Banu Tamim from Aban b. Daram martyred him. They have mentioned 'Abd Allah's age 25 years old upon his martyrdom. Abu l-Faraj believes that 'Abd Allah had no children. But, al-Tabari mentioned a person called 'Abbas b. Hasan b. 'Abd Allah b. Ali (a) who was a grandson of 'Abd Allah b. Ali (a).
His Name in Ziyarah al-Nahiya al-Muqaddasa
- ʿAmrī, al-Majdī fī ansāb al-ṭālibīn, p. 15.
- Ibn Shahrāshūb, Manāqib, vol. 4, p. 112.
- ʿAmrī, al-Majdī fī ansāb al-ṭālibīn, p. 15; Maḥallātī, Fursān al-hayjāʾ, vol. 5, p. 69.
- Ibn Saʿd, al-Ṭabaqāt al-kubrā, vol. 3, p. 14; Ibn al-Jawzī, al-Muntaẓam, vol. 5, p. 69.
- Iṣfahānī, Maqātil al-ṭālibīyyīn, p. 88.
- Ibn Funduq, Labāb al-ansāb, vol. 1, p. 307; Maghribī, Sharḥ al-akhbār, vol. 3, p. 194.
- Iṣfahānī, Maqātil al-ṭālibīyyīn, p. 82; Shams al-Dīn, Anṣār al-Ḥusayn (a), p. 67.
- Ibn Saʿd, al-Ṭabaqāt al-kubrā, vol. 3, p. 14; Dīnawarī, al-Maʿārif, p. 88; Ṭabarī, Tārīkh al-Ṭabarī, vol. 5, p. 153; Iṣfahānī, Maqātil al-ṭālibīyyīn, p. 88; Ṭūsī, al-Rijāl, p. 86.
- Ibn Aʿtham, Kitāb al-Futūḥ, vol. 5, p. 207; Iṣfahānī, Maqātil al-ṭālibīyyīn, p. 88; Khwārizmī, Maqtal al-Ḥusayn, vol. 2, p. 109.
- Ibn Aʿtham, Kitāb al-Futūḥ, vol. 5, p. 114; Ibn Shahrāshūb, Manāqib, vol. 4, p. 116.
- Maḥallātī, Fursān al-hayjāʾ, vol. 5, p. 250.
- Balādhurī, Ansāb al-ashrāf, vol. 3, p. 407; Dīnawarī, al-Akhbār al-ṭiwāl, p. 257; Iṣfahānī, Maqātil al-ṭālibīyyīn, p. 88; Mufīd, al-Irshād, vol. 2, p. 109; Ṭabrisī, Iʿlām al-warā, vol. 1, p. 466.
- Shajarī, al-Amālī al-khamīsīya, vol. 1, p. 117; Maḥallī, al-Ḥadāʾiq al-wardīyya, vol. 1, p. 120.
- Iṣfahānī, Maqātil al-ṭālibīyyīn, p. 88; Ṭabrisī, Iʿlām al-warā, vol. 1, p. 395.
- Iṣfahānī, Maqātil al-ṭālibīyyīn, p. 88.
- Ṭabarī, Tārīkh-i Ṭabarī, vol. 8, p. 235.
- Ibn Ṭāwūs, Miṣbāh al-zā'ir, p. 279-280.
- Abū l-Faraj al-Iṣfahānī, ʿAlī b. al-Ḥusayn. Maqātil al-ṭālibīyyīn. Edited by Sayyid Aḥmad al-Ṣaqar. Beirut: Dār al-Maʿrifa, [n.d].
- ʿAmrī, ʿAlī b. Muḥammad. Al-Majdī fī ansāb al-ṭālibīn. Edited by Mahdawī Dāmghānī. Nashr-i Kitābkhāna-yi Marʿashī Najafī, [n.d].
- Dīnawarī, Aḥmad b. Dāwūd al-. al-Akhbār al-ṭiwāl. Edited by ʿAbd al-Munʿim ʿĀmir. Qom: Manshūrāt al-Sharīf al-Raḍī, 1960.
- Ibn Shahrāshūb, Muḥammad b. ʿAlī. Manāqib Āl Abī Ṭālib. Beirut: Dār al-Aḍwaʾ, 1412 AH.
- Ibn Saʿd, Muḥammad b. Manīʿ. Al-Ṭabaqāt al-kubrā. Edited by Muḥammad ʿAbd al-Qādir ʿAṭā. volume 3. 2nd edition. Beirut: Dar al-Kutub al-ʿIlmiyya, 1418 AH.
- Ibn al-Jawzī, ʿAbd al-Raḥmān b. ʿAlī. Al-Muntaẓam fī tārīkh al-umam wa l-mulūk. Edited by Muḥammad ʿAbd al-Qādir ʿAṭāʾ. 1st edition. Beirut: Dār al-Kutub al-ʿIlmiyya, 1412 AH.
- Ibn Funduq, ʿAlī b. Abu l-Qāsim. Labāb al-ansāb. Edited by Mahdī Rajāʾī and Maḥmūd Marʿashī. 1st edition. Kitābkhāna-yi Āyatullāh Marʿashī Najafī, 1410 AH.
- Ibn Qutayba al-Dīnawarī, ʿAbd Allah b. Muslim . Al-Maʿārif. Edited by Tharwat ʿAkkāsha. Cairo: Al-hayʾa al-Misrīyya al-ʿāmma li l-kitāb. 1992 CE.
- Ibn Ṭāwūs, ʿAlī b. Mūsā. Miṣbāh al-zā'ir. Edited by Muʾassisat Āl al-Bayt. 1st edition. Qom: Nashr-i Muʾassisat Āl al-Bayt, 1417 AH.
- Ibn Aʿtham al-Kūfī, Aḥmad b. Aʿtham. Kitāb al-Futūḥ. Edited by ʿAlī Shīrī. Beirut: Dār al-Aḍwaʾ, 1411 AH-1991.
- Maḥallātī, Ḍhabīḥ Allāh. Fursān al-hayjāʾ. 2nd edition. volume 1. [n.p]: Markaz-i Nashr-i Kitāb, 1390 AH.
- Maḥallī, Ḥamīd b. Aḥmad. Al-Ḥadāʾiq al-wardīyya fī manāqib al-aʾimma al-zaydīyya. 2nd edition. Damascus: Dār Usāma, 1405 AH.
- Mufīd, Muḥammad b. Muḥammad al-. Al-Irshād fī maʿrifat ḥujaj Allāh ʿala l-ʿibād. volume 1. 1st edition. Edited by Muʾassisat Āl al-Bayt. Qom: Intishārāt-i al-Muʿtamir al-Ālamī, 1413 AH.
- Shajarī, Yaḥyā b. Ḥusayn. Al-Amālī al-khamīsīya. Beirut: Ālam al-Kutub, [n.d].
- Ṭūsī, Muḥammad b. al-Ḥaasn al-. Al-Rijāl. Najaf: Maktabat al-Haydariyya, 1380 AH.
- Ṭabarī, Muḥammad b. Jarīr al-. Tārīkh al-Ṭabarī. Edited by Muḥammad Abu l-faḍl Ibrāhīm. volume 5. Beirut: [n.d].
- Ṭabrisī, Faḍl b. al-Ḥasan al-. Iʿlām al-warā. Edited by Muʾassisat Āl al-Bayt. volume 1. 1st edition. [n.p], 1417 AH.
- Ṭabarī, Muḥammad b. Jarīr al-. Tārīkh-i Ṭabarī. Translated by Abū l-Qāsim Pāyanda. 5th edition. Tehran: Asāṭīr, 1357 Sh.